The (best) Chicken Noodle Soup | Recipe

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

This last week has been exhausting.  Charlotte began running a fever about a week ago and it FINALLY broke yesterday.  Just when I thought we were on the mend, Michael began to start feeling a little under the weather and Emma is sniffling.  

I mean, if it's gonna hit us all, I guess I'd rather it all happen at once....I think.  Anyhow, today was the perfect today to whip up my favorite, homemade chicken noodle soup!  It's not often that I make it because it does take some time and some work, especially with a sick baby on your hip, but it is so worth it.  I just want my babies (including my big one *cough* Michael *cough*) to feel better and what better way to do that than with a big bowl of yummy soup.  Made with love, of course!


Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole Cut Up Fryer Chicken
  • 3-4 whole Carrots, Diced
  • 3 stalks Celery, Diced
  • 1/2 whole Medium Onion, Diced (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon White Pepper (more To Taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Thyme
  • 3 teaspoons Parsley Flakes
  • 16 ounces, weight Frozen "homemade" Egg Noodles
  • 3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour  
 
Cover chicken in 4 quarts water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove chicken from pot with a slotted spoon. With two forks, remove as much meat from the bones as you can, slightly shredding meat in the process. Return bones to broth and simmer on low, covered, for 45 minutes. 
 
 
Remove bones from broth with a slotted spoon, making sure to get any small bones that might have detached.

Add the carrots and celery (and onions, if using) to the pot, followed by the herbs and spices. Stir to combine and simmer for ten minutes to meld flavors.
 

Increase heat and add frozen egg noodles and chicken. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.

Mix flour and a little water. Stir until smooth. Pour into soup, stir to combine, and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until broth thickens a bit. Test and adjust seasonings as needed. 
 
I hope you all enjoy this as much as we do!  It's the perfect soup for this wonderful Fall weather that we are not getting in Florida! ;) 
 
*This recipe was adapted from the Pioneer Woman.  I did make a few changes.  You can find the original recipe here. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Chicken noodle soup is one of my faves so I'll definitely have to give this recipe a try because it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so easy and so yummy. I have to eat gluten free....I wonder what kind of noodle I should use? I've never seen a gluten free egg noodle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty. I'm going to have to try making this.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete