Nap Time Struggles

Friday, June 9, 2017

A few days ago I put my youngest down for her morning nap (she still takes two), I got my oldest one situated with a coloring book and finally sat down for a little quiet time for myself and to get some work done.  Not even five minutes later, I heard little footsteps heading my way and right in front of me, with her baby doll and blanket in hand, stood the same little girl I had just put down for a nap.

I couldn't help but chuckle and in my head think, "Oh, no.  She has learned to climb out of her crib".  How was that even possible?  She's so little.  I picked her up, put her back in her crib and stood by the door for a few minutes to see if she would do it again.  She tried, unsuccessful, and went to sleep without a fuss.

It had to be a fluke.  She got lucky and I didn't think she would do it again. Naive much?  

Fast forward to this morning at 630am, when I hear those same little footsteps from across our house on their way to our room.  I was greeted with the sweetest smile and a little girl who knew exactly what she had done and was so proud of herself for doing so.  I was in for trouble.

Nap time today was a struggle and she desperately needed one.  She climbed out.  Twice.   Unsure of what to do, I googled ways to keep your toddler from "escaping" their crib.  I decided to turn her crib around and it worked!  However, there should have been a disclaimer when suggesting this method that reads, "If you do this, your toddler will scream like they are being murdered."  Seriously y'all, it was torture.  I tried to let her cry it out, something she has never really done before because she's always been a pretty good sleeper...and I couldn't.  

I caved. 

I grabbed my girl, held her close and rocked her in my arms as she tried to catch her breath from all the crying and slowly drifted off.

To be honest with you, it was the last thing I wanted to be doing.  As awful as that sounds, I had a house to clean, a grocery list to make and I needed to squeeze in a shower.

What I realized today though, is that I need to slow down and that being a mom means having patience and taking things in as they come.  I need to be enjoying the little moments like snuggling and the accomplishments like learning something new. Even if it isn't what I want at that moment. 

Nap time struggles today meant extra cuddles and rocking my baby to sleep.  A little girl who has never needed me to rock her to sleep.  There won't always be days like this, so today I will be grateful.  Grateful, that my baby learned something new and still needed me. 

 

9 comments:

  1. I am so grateful that neither one of my kids have climbed out of the crib's. But sometimes you need to push all of your errands aside and rock that baby ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I'm in the same boat, and my son just won't nap at this point. So, I've had to adjust my expectations for his day. Thankfully my daughter is napping, but she's also 6 months old.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little escape artist ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guilty of feeling this way. When my baby wants me to hold him and rock him to sleep. But reality is I have so much to do that it's the last thing I want to do. Then once nap time comes I stare at him and wish I had given him that extra love he cried for. Ah it's bittersweet. But know you are doing your best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully said! Presence over perfection, I have to remind myself all the time. Nap time is such a juggle and hard when they're growing and changing by the day making it a moving target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! My daughter hasn't even tried to climb out yet. I don't know what I would do! Time for a toddler bed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! I'm totally guilty of this too! except my kids are in bunk beds, and often fight naptime and bedtime for extra cuddles. They're only young once and I always have to remind myself that one day they will stop wanting the cuddles, and I will miss it and wish I had taken the time! Chores can totally wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, I DIED laughing at the "your toddler will scream" LOL! Buuut I totally get it. I would cave too. Sometimes we all need a minute. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm feel this way often as well and then the guilt hits me the minute I sigh and walk out of their room. I try to change my mindset and attitude about it as I know it's just a short phase most of the time.

    ReplyDelete